Kremšnita (Vanilla Custard Cake) Recipe
Kremšnita (Vanilla Custard Cake) is a popular dessert prepared from two layers of puff pastry that are filled with custard cream with a thin layer of whipped cream placed on top of the custard. is a vanilla This custard cake originating from the Austro-Hungarian Monarchand has similar recipes across the Balkans.
This delicious cake is made of crispy puff pastry, filled with vanilla custard cream and whipped cream, popular in several Central European countries.
- 2½ lb puff pastry rectangles
- 8 tbsp icing sugar
- 1 cup whipping cream
For pudding cream
- 10 egg yolks
- 2½ cup flour
- 1¼ cup sugar
- 3 tbsp vanilla-flavored sugar
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 vanilla pod, cut lengthwise and scraped
For the cream
- 5 cup milk
- 5 cup water
- 5 tbsp vanilla sugar
- 2 tbsp rum
- 10 egg whites
- 1¾ cup icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 400FF/200C.
- Prepare the pastry dough by placing it on a lightly floured cutting board and use a floured rolling pin to roll each sheet thin.
- Place the pastry on a baking sheet and bake until they are golden brown for 10 minutes.
- Mix all the ingredients for pudding cream.
- In a large non-stick pot, over medium heat, boil 3 cups of milk with the rest of ingredients necessary for the cream continuously stirring and remove from heat.
- Whisk while pouring the pudding cream mixture over the hot cream milk mixture, then cook on medium heat for about 15 minutes. Stir regularly to be sure it doesn't burn.
- For topping, beat the egg whites and add the icing sugar gradually while beating until stiff.
- Whip the sweet cream with the sugar. Carefully mix the egg whites with the warm mixture by slowly whisking.
- Cut the baked puff pastry into 2x8 inch squares and place the first puff pastry at the bottom of a rectangular baking dish and pour in the hot mixture. Place in the refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Whip the cream combining it with 4 tbsp of icing sugar and pour a thin layer of whipped cream on top of the cream in the baking dish.
- Then add the second rectangular puff pastry on top and sprinkle the remaining icing sugar.
- Cut square pieces and serve cold.
Inspiration and adaptation: fandom.com, tasteatlas.com, homecookingadventure.com
Explore other recipes from the traditional Croatian cuisine.
Did you make this Kremšnita (Vanilla Custard Cake) recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and don’t forget to follow us. Sharing is caring!