Kremšnita (Vanilla Custard Cake) is a popular dessert prepared from two layers of puff pastry that are filled with custard cream with a thin layer of whipped cream placed on top of the custard. is a vanilla This custard cake originating from the Austro-Hungarian Monarchand has similar recipes across the Balkans.
- 2½ lb puff pastry rectangles
- 8 tbsp icing sugar
- 1 cup whipping cream
For pudding cream
- 10 egg yolks
- 2½ cup flour
- 1¼ cup sugar
- 3 tbsp vanilla-flavored sugar
- ¾ cup milk
- 1 vanilla pod, cut lengthwise and scraped
For the cream
- 5 cup milk
- 5 cup water
- 5 tbsp vanilla sugar
- 2 tbsp rum
- 10 egg whites
- 1¾ cup icing sugar
- Preheat the oven to 400FF/200C.
- Prepare the pastry dough by placing it on a lightly floured cutting board and use a floured rolling pin to roll each sheet thin.
- Place the pastry on a baking sheet and bake until they are golden brown for 10 minutes.
- Mix all the ingredients for pudding cream.
- In a large non-stick pot, over medium heat, boil 3 cups of milk with the rest of ingredients necessary for the cream continuously stirring and remove from heat.
- Whisk while pouring the pudding cream mixture over the hot cream milk mixture, then cook on medium heat for about 15 minutes. Stir regularly to be sure it doesn't burn.
- For topping, beat the egg whites and add the icing sugar gradually while beating until stiff.
- Whip the sweet cream with the sugar. Carefully mix the egg whites with the warm mixture by slowly whisking.
- Cut the baked puff pastry into 2x8 inch squares and place the first puff pastry at the bottom of a rectangular baking dish and pour in the hot mixture. Place in the refrigerate for 15 minutes.
- Whip the cream combining it with 4 tbsp of icing sugar and pour a thin layer of whipped cream on top of the cream in the baking dish.
- Then add the second rectangular puff pastry on top and sprinkle the remaining icing sugar.
- Cut square pieces and serve cold.
Inspiration and adaptation: fandom.com, tasteatlas.com, homecookingadventure.com
Explore other recipes from the traditional Croatian cuisine.