This Luchnik (Banitsa with Leaks and Rice) has a long tradition in the Bulgarian cuisine. This pastry can be made with leaks or onions and it has a little sweet taste. You can find many different recipes for this Banitsa in the different regions of Bulgaria.
Luchnik (Banitsa with leaks and rice)
For the dough
- 4 cup flour
- 4 tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 cup lukewarm water
- 1 tsp salt
For the filling
- 6 leeks
- 1 cup rice
- 1 cup vegetable oil
- 1 bunch parsley
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- Prepare the dough by mixing together all the necessary ingredients for it and knead until you get dough, then set aside.
- Prepare the leeks by washing them and finely chop. Add them to a pot with water for 5 minutes.
- Heat a pan over a medium heat with oil and the rice and the leeks.
- Pour in 1 cup of water into the pan and simmer until the rice soften.
- Take the pan of the heat and add the thyme and parsley.
- Take the dough out of the bowl and divide it into 5 balls. Place each ball on a floury surface and roll out to a sheet.
- Preheat the oven to heat (340°F).
- Lightly grease the baking dish and put in the bottom sheet.
- Add filling in between the all the sheets on the last one sprinkle some oil on the top.
- You can use a fork and punch the sheets in different places to help prevent air beign trapt between the sheets.
- Bake until light-brown or for about 25 minutes.
- After it is done sprinkle with water and wrap in a towel to keep it soft.
Inspiration and adaptation: bulgarianspices.com, recipesbg.com
Explore other recipes from the traditional Bulgarian cuisine.