Albanian Meatballs with Egg and Lemon Sauce is popular main dish influenced from Greece. You should use eggs with room temperature. You can separate the egg white from egg yolks and beat them separately or use the whole egg. It could be served as a soup or main dish. Garnish with fresh parsley.
Meatballs with Egg and Lemon Sauce
- 250 g ground meat (lamb)
- 1/5 cup rice
- 1 tbsp margarine
- 1 bunch parsley
- 2 1/2 cup water
- 1/2 tbsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp salt
- 1 large onion
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup water
- 1 lemon
- Turn the heat to medium and add a pot with 3 glasses of water and bring it to boiling. Add the rice, cook it and drain it. Use a cutting board and chop the parsley and the onion. Transfer to a large bowl and add the rice, black pepper and 1 teaspoon salt. Mix together with the ground meat and knead for 3 minutes.
- Add some flour to your hands and form small balls of the meat. Add them to a pan and add chopped parsley leaves and cover the meatballs with it.
- Add 1 teaspoon of salt to the pan, pour 2 1/2 glasses of water, margarine, cover and cook on medium heat for 30 minutes.
- You can use the egg yolks or the egg along with lemon juice and water to prepare the sauce into a bowl whisk together.
- Add the sauce to the pan with the meatballs, when they are cooked. Stir a couple of times before serving.
- You can chop and sprinkle on top fresh mint or parsley or dried.
Inspiration and adaptation: babylino.gr, mixcookingrecipes.blogspot.com
Explore other recipes from the traditional Albanian cuisine.