Pastry Filled with Cheese and Fruit (Montenegrin Gibanica) is a pastry made of filo or phyllo dough and filled with layers of a different fruits such as raspberry, strawberries, apricot and cheese.Gibanica is a traditional pastry dish popular all over the Balkans.
Pastry Filled with Cheese and Fruit (Montenegrin Gibanica)
- 1 can apricot pastry filling
- can raspberry pastry filling
- 8 oz package cream cheese
- 1/3 cup sugar granulated
- 1 lb cottage cheese small curd
- 1/2 cup sour cream
- 1 zest of 1 lemon
- 4 oz melted butter
- 6 large eggs separated
- 1/2 lb filo dough
- powdered sugar for topping
- Fresh raspberries for garnish
For the cheese filling
- Use a large bowl to beat the cream cheese until you get a smooth texture.
- Then add sugar, the cottage cheese, and zest of 1 lemon.
- One by one beat in the egg yolks and then add the sour cream and continue to beat.
- The egg white beat into a separate bowl until stiff.
- Add it to the bowl with the cheese mixture and set aside.
To prepare the Gibanica
- Preheat the oven to 350F/180C degrees
- Lightly grace a 13x9 baking pan.
- First start with placing one piece of phyllo dough on the bottom and lightly brush with butter.
- Same steps with another piece of phyllo dough then add half the cheese mixture on top and spread it.
- Again placing one piece of phyllo dough and lightly buttering it and repeat the steps with one more piece of phyllo dough.
- Now add the one of the fruit spread filling and add two more pieces of filo dough, buttering each one.
- Use the other fruit spread to cover the dough and add two more pieces of filo dough, lightly buttering each one.
- Add the remaining of the cheese filling and spread.
- And then add the last two pieces of filo dough, buttering each one.
- place it in the oven and bake for 55 minutes.
- After it cools down sprinkle some powdered sugar and serve with some other type of fresh berries.
Inspiration and adaptation: internationalcuisine.com, wikipedia.org, thefooddictator.com
Explore other recipes from the traditional Montenegro cuisine.