Pohorska omleta or Pohorje omelet is a famous dessert of the Slovenian region called Pohorje, made from eggs, vanilla sugar, flour, rum, cranberry jam, and whipped cream. It originated from the Poštarski Dom mountain in the middle of the 20th century.
- 4 eggs
- 4 tbsp flour
- 3 tbsp sugar
- 4 tbsp butter
- 4 tsp vanilla
- confectioners sugar or sweetened whipped cream
- jam or fresh berries
- In a large bowl beat together half of the sugar with the egg whites until form stiff.
- Using a separated bowl mix the remaining half of sugar, with the yolks, vanilla, and lemon rind and beat until thick mixture.
- Mix both mixtures together and sprinkle flour on top.
- Use 10-inch baking pan to melt the butter, then pour the mixture and spread across the pan bottom.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F
- Bake until lightly browned or for 10-12 minutes.
- Let it cool then transfer it into a platter with top side down.
- Before you fold it in half, spread with jam or fruit filling.
- Sprinkle some confectioners sugar or pour some whipped cream on top.
- Slice into pieces and serve warm.
Inspiration and adaptation: midvakuhava.si, slovenianroots.blogspot.com
Explore other recipes from the traditional Slovenian cuisine.