Ričet is Traditional Slovenian Barley Soup with main ingredient barley and a popular dish in Central and Eastern European. It is very healthy and nutritious dish and if you are vegetarian you can easily skip the sausage or ham and made it a completely vegan dish.
Ričet - Traditional Slovenian Barley Soup
- 200 g barley
- 1½ l water
- 200 g pre-cooked beans
- 300 g cooked smoked pork, ham, sausage
- 1 medium onion
- 3 cloves of garlic
- 1 tsp thyme
- 1 medium tomato
- 300 g mixed vegetables
- 1 tsp ground caraway seeds
- salt to taste
- 1 tsp marjoram
- ground black pepper
- 2 bay leaves
- 10 g bonito flakes
- fresh parsley leaves
- First wash the barley and soak with water in a large bowl overnight.
- Place a large pot over medium heat and pour the soaked barley in. Add garlic, season with herbs and spices, add sliced onions, leave the salt and bring it to boiling.
- After it starts boiling reduce the heat to low and cook for about 20 minutes.
- Add all the vegetables and mix the stew.
- Cook for 15 more minutes, add the cooked beans, and your meat of choice, and add tomato paste.
- Now it is time for the salt and cook for another 10 minutes.
- Then cover and let it cool for 5 minutes, then sprinkle some frehsly chopped parsley on top.
Inspiration and adaptation: homemadeslovenianfood.blogspot.com, kulinarika.net
Explore other recipes from the traditional Slovenian cuisine.