Shopska Salad is Bulgaria’s most famous dish and national salad. Quick and easy healthy salad made from tomatoes, cucumbers, bell pepper, onion, olives, seasoned with olive oil and salt, and topped with grated feta cheese. This Bulgarian salad is popular throughout the Balkans and Southeastern Europe.
- 3 tomatoes, cubed
- 1/2 long cucumber, or 1 regular cucumber, thinly sliced and halved
- 1 green bell pepper, cubed
- 1/4 cup black pitted olives, sliced
- 1/2 large red onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup Bulgarian feta cheese, thinly grated, sirene
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp honey
- In a large bowl mix together tomatoes, cucumber, green bell peppers, red onion, and olives. Season with olive oil, and salt.
- Sprinkle the feta cheese over the salad so that it's nicely covered.
- Serve immediately as a starter or as a side dish with some grilled meats.
Inspiration and adaptation: recipesbg.com, deliciousmeetshealthy.com, wikipedia.org
Explore other recipes from the traditional Bulgarian cuisine.