Shopska salad named after the Shoppi, the natives of the Sofia region, is by far Bulgaria’s most popular salad. This recipe use a special type of feta cheese found there called Sirene, however you can always substitute a good Greek feta.
- 3 tomatoes, cubed
- 1/2 long cucumber, or 1 regular cucumber, thinly sliced and halved
- 1 green bell pepper, cubed
- 1/4 cup black pitted olives, sliced
- 1/2 large red onion, finely chopped
- 1 cup Bulgarian feta cheese, thinly grated, sirene
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 2 tbsp honey
- In a large bowl mix together tomatoes, cucumber, green bell peppers, red onion, and olives. Season with olive oil, and salt.
- Sprinkle the feta cheese over the salad so that it's nicely covered.
- Serve immediately as a starter or as a side dish with some grilled meats.
Photo credit: www.sproutinghealthyhabits.com