Strudel with Tarragon is a delicious taste typical Slovenia recipe made with filling with cottage cheese and tarragon. Slovenia has many different kinds of strudel recipes, which became popular in the 18th century throughout the Habsburg Empire.
Strudel with Tarragon
For tarragon filling:
- 500 g cottage cheese
- 250 g sour cream
- 2 eggs
- pinch of salt
- 3 tbsp sugar
- lemon zest or and vanilla
- 200 g melted butter
- bread crumbs
- brunches of tarragon herb
For the garnish before baking
- 1 egg
- 100 g sour cream
- Leave aside butter, tarragon and bread crumbs. Mix the rest of the ingredients into a large bowl.
- Add whole eggs with ⅕ melted butter into the filling. Add bread crumbs.
- Roll out the dough and brush it with melted butter.
- Spread the filling equal on 1/3 of the dough and before rolling the whole dough into a roll sprinkle the chopped tarragon.
- Preheat the oven to 200° C.
- Mix egg with sour cream and brush the rolls before placing it into the oven.
- Bake for 1 hour then sprinkle the strudel with powdered sugar.
Photo and inspiration: homemadeslovenianfood.blogspot.com
Explore other recipes from the traditional Slovenian cuisine.