Tikvenik - Bulgarian Sweet Pumpkin Pie
This is a very traditional autumn and winter dish here in Bulgaria.
For the dough:
- 2 lb flour
- a pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp melted butter
- 1 cup lukewarm water
For the filling:
- 1 lb pumpkin
- ¼ cup oil
- 1.5 cup sugar
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 5 tbsp oil
- Stew the pumpkin in some water and the half of the butter.
- Mix together all the ingredients for the dough and knead a semi-soft dough.
- Divide the dough into 12 balls.
- Roll out each ball to a thin sheet.
- Put the filling ingredients (pumpkin, sugar, walnuts, and cinnamon) on top of each sheet lengthwise.
- Roll the sheets.
- Arrange the rolls in a baking dish. Shape them as one big coil starting from the middle of the dish and going toward the edge.
- Pour the remaining butter on top.
- Bake for about 30 minutes or until golden brown at 390°F. Serve warm, sprinkled with powdered sugar and vanilla.
Photo credit and inspiration: internationalcookingclubsingapore.wordpress.com, bulgarianspices.com, thespruceeats.com