Tikvenik (Bulgarian Sweet Pumpkin Pie) is a traditional Bulgarian pastry, prepared from sheets of dough that are filled with grated cooked pumpkin, mixed with ground walnuts, sugar, and cinnamon. This pumpkin dessert could be considered as the sweet version of banitsa and it is especially popular in the fall and winter.
Tikvenik - Bulgarian Sweet Pumpkin Pie
For the dough:
- 2 lb flour
- a pinch of salt
- 1 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp melted butter
- 1 cup lukewarm water
For the filling:
- 1 lb pumpkin
- ¼ cup oil
- 1.5 cup sugar
- 1 cup walnuts
- 1 tbsp cinnamon
- 5 tbsp oil
- Heat a pot with water over medium heat and bring it to boiling. Add the grated pumpkin to the pot and the half of the butter. Cook it till soften.
- In a large bowl or food processor prepare the dough by mixing together all the ingredients and knead until you get a soft dough. Leave it for an hour to double its size.
- Split the ready to use dough into 12 pieces.
- On a floury surface roll out each piece into a thin sheet.
- Use an oily round baking dish and start placing a sheet at the bottom then spread ingredients (pumpkin, sugar, walnuts, and cinnamon) on top then add another sheet and repeat the process.
- Roll the sheets in the baking dish and shape them to form circle starting from the middle of the dish and going toward the edge.
- Preheat the oven to 390°F.
- Pour the remaining butter on top.
- Place the baking dish and bake until golden brown or for about 30 minutes.
- Serve warm with sprinkled powdered sugar on top.
Inspiration and adaptation: wikipedia.org, bulgarianspices.com, thespruceeats.com
Explore other recipes from the traditional Bulgarian cuisine.