Traditional Bulgarian Bean Soup (Bob Chorba)
Traditional Bulgarian Bean Soup also called Bob Chorba is one of Bulgaria’s national dishes and it is prepared with Bulgarian varieties of white and kidney beans. This soup is delicious, nutritious and vegan. There are different various of the soup throughout the country and may include additional ingredients such as bell peppers, paprika, potatoes, and meat.
Traditional Bean Soup
Bean soup in Bulgaria is a "national" dish and it is prepared of white and kidney beans, onions, peppers, tomatoes, carrots, and mint.
- 1 lb dried Great Northern beans
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1½ cup diced onion
- 1½ cup diced carrot
- 1½ cup diced celery
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ½ tsp crushed red pepper flakes
- 2 tbsp sweet paprika
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 10 cup water
- black pepper½
- ½ chopped fresh mint
- 3 tbsp minced fresh winter savory
- ½ cup chopped fresh flat leaf parsley
- salt, black pepper and paprika for reseasoning
- Soak the beans in cold water for 6 hours, drain and pour fresh water.
- Place an earthenware pot over medium heat and add oil, finely chopped carrots, onion and celery, water and bring it to boil.
- Add the sliced peppers, the grated tomatoes and mint to the earthenware pot.
- Cook until tender or for about 45 minutes to 1 hour.
- Add salt to the soup and boil for another 15-20 minutes.
- Serve with finely chopped parsley on top.
Photo credit and inspiration: tasteatlas.com, tastybg.com, recipesbg.com
Explore other recipes from the traditional Bulgarian cuisine.
Did you make this Traditional Bulgarian Bean Soup (Bob Chorba) recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and don’t forget to follow us. Sharing is caring!