Greek tzatziki Sauce Recipe is for a traditional yogurt-based with plenty of garlic and cucumber extra creamy thick sauce. It is a simple recipe with just a few ingredients. You can find many variations outside Greece with dill or mint. Similar dip is found in the cuisines of Southeast Europe and the Middle East. If you do not have a Greek yogurt you can use Bulgarian yogurt or make one at home using
Tzatziki sauce (Greek Yogurt and Cucumber Sauce)
- 1 cucumber
- 2 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 18 oz strained Greek yogurt
- 1-2 tbsp red wine vinegar
- freshly ground pepper
- Peel of the cucumber if not organic, slice in half, remove the seeds with a spoon and grate it into a large bowl. Season with pepper and salt set it aside for 10 minutes.
- Squeeze the grated cucumber to get rid of any excess water.
- Add all ingredients into a bowl and mix well. If you prefer a smooth silky you can blend into a food processor until combined.
- Serve with some warm pita bread.
Inspiration and adaptation: pantryparatus.com, tastybg.com, natashaskitchen.com
Explore other recipes from the traditional Greek cuisine.