Albanian Bean Yahni Soup (Jani me Fasule)
Albanian Bean Yahni Soup also called Jani Mi Fasule is a traditional Albanian dish that is cheap to make, nutritious but it takes a long time to cook. This soup is a very popular dish with dry white beans, mixed with chopped parsley, chopped onions, salt, chili powder and olive oil. It should be boiled in hot water for 10 minutes until thick sauce is formed. It goes well with bread, salad and a glass of Raki.
Bean Yahni Soup (Jani me Fasule)
This soup is a very popular dish with dry white beans, mixed with chopped parsley, salt, chili powder and onions, slow cooked until tender and creamy.
- 2 cup dry white beans
- 1/2 cup chopped onion
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 2 tbsp tomato sauce
- 1 tbsp chopped parsley
- 1 tbsp chopped mint
- chili powder
- Turn the stove heat to medium and bring stock pot with water to boil. Add the dry beans in hot water in an uncovered pot and boil it for 5 minutes.
- Rinse the water from the pot add new water and boil for another 15 minutes. This time you can covered the pot in 3 cups hot water.
- Use a skillet and add olive oil and onion. Sauté until it turns yellow.
- Add to the skillet tomato sauce, parsley, chili powder and salt for taste. Crab from the stock bean and add 2 tablespoons to the skillet.
- Cook everything in the skillet for 10 minutes and then add everything into the pot.
- Add chopped fresh mint, cover the pot and leave it for 2 hours over low heat. If you are using a pressure cooker set for 30 minutes.
- Serve hot.
Inspiration and adaptation: myalbanianfood.com, wikipedia.org
Explore other recipes from the traditional Albanian cuisine.
Did you make this Albanian Bean Yahni Soup (Jani me Fasule) recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and don’t forget to follow us. Sharing is caring!