Potica is a special Slovenian sweet or savory pastry rolled dough dessert cake with different fillings. It is very popular, especially around the holidays and it dates back to the 18th century. Different adaptations of the recipe include cottage cheese, raisins, poppy seeds and tarragon.
For the sweet yeast dough:
- 600 g wheat flour
- 100 g butter
- 1 tsp salt
- 30 g yeast
- 60 g sugar
- 3 egg yolks
- grated lemon zest
- 2 tbsp rum
- 500 ml lukewarm milk
- 2 tbsp sour cream
For walnuts paste:
- 3 tbsp rum
- 150 g sugar or/and honey
- 100 g melted butter
- ½ tbsp coffee powder
- 600 g walnuts
- 1 egg
- 3 egg whites
- cinnamon powder
- 250 ml milk
- bread crumbs
- 100 g raisins
- In a bowl mix 1 tsp of sugar, 1 tsp of yeast and 50 ml of lukewarm milk and leave it aside for 10 minutes.
- In another bowl prepare the dough by mixing the flour with all the other ingredients, except for milk. Place them in the center of the bowl and the salt on the side.
- Pour slowly milk and start kneading until you get soft dough. You can knead the dough by hand or with a blender with dough hook.
- Cover the dough and let it sit in a warm area for up to 1 hour, so it doubles its size.
- Mix well all the ingredients except egg whites, add ground walnuts and leave it aside for 30 minutes. Add whipped egg whites just before spreading the paste on the dough.
- Roll out the dough into thin and spread the paste. The pattern of the roll will vary accordingly.
- To make the traditional way you need to bake it in round shaped baking model with a hole in the middle.
- Preheat the oven to to 350° F/220° C
- Crack an egg and beat it in a small bowl. Then brush with egg the top of the cake.
- Bake it for about 1 hour and after the first few minutes reduce the heat to 180 degrees C.
- Sprinkle with sugar powder, before serving.
Inspiration and adaptation: homemadeslovenianfood.blogspot.com, fandom.com, wikipedia.org
Photo: Klemen Brumec/Wikipedia
Explore other recipes from the traditional Slovenian cuisine.