Slovenian Apple Strudel Recipe
This traditional Apple Strudel Recipe is a crispy and spicy stretched dough filled with grated apples and cinnamon. This dessert is traditionally prepared all around Alpine Regions in Central Europe across multiple countries. You can use any type of apples for this recipe.
Apple Strudel is a traditional dessert prepared from stretched dough filled with grated apples and spices.
- 500 g wheat flour
- 1 tsp vinegar
- 250 ml lukewarm water
- 50 ml vegetable oil
- ½ tsp salt
- 1 egg
For apple filling:
- 1-2 kg apples
- 1 lemon
- 150 g butter
- 80 g bread crumbs
- Use a food processor to mix well an egg with the flour and oil, then add lukewarm water with salt and vinegar. Continue mixing and slowly add water into the mixture.
- Transfer it to a floury surface and knead with your hands until nicely soft and smooth dough.
- Transfer it to a large bowl, sprinkle some oil over the dough, cover it and leave it aside in a warm area to rice for 30-40 minutes.
- Prepare the apples, wash them, grate them and sue some lemon juice over to prevent the apples from turning brown. Then sprinkle some cinnamon and sugar.
- Place a frying pan over medium heat and add butter and after it melts add breadcrumbs and stir well.
- Preheat the oven to 200° C.
- Transfer the ready dough on a flat floury surface and roll it out to get a very thin layer.
- Add apples on 1/3 of the dough layer, sprinkle some part of the roasted breadcrumbs in the middle then the rest to the edges and roll in.
- Pock it with a fork or tooth stick to remove any trapped air inside. Spread with melted butter or vegetable oil and put into preheated oven.
- Brush with melted butter on top, transfer it to a baking dish with baking paper at the bottom and place it in the oven, and bake for 1 hour.
Inspiration and adaptation: homemadeslovenianfood.blogspot.com, cookiesandcups.com
Explore other recipes from the traditional Slovenian cuisine.
Did you make this Apple Strudel recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and don’t forget to follow us. Sharing is caring!