This Bulgarian Spinach and Sorrel soup is refreshing and delicious and it has a slight sour-flavor. It is prepared with fresh Sorrel and Spinach leaves with rice and seasoning. Sorrel and spinach are health food and provide a necessary vitamins and nutrients including magnesium, fiber, potassium, vitamins A, C and B6, iron, and calcium.
Spinach and Sorrel soup
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 garlic cloves, minced
- 4 carrots, sliced
- 2 bell peppers, chopped
- 1 lb fresh baby spinach, washed
- 1 lb sorrel
- 1 cup rice
- black pepper
- red pepper
- cayenne pepper
- Put a large pot over medium heat with olive oil. Add the chopped onion and minced garlic and saute.
- Then slices the carrots, chop the bell peppers and them to the pot. Season with spices and add celery, cover the pot and continue cooking for 5 minutes or until soften the vegetables.
- Wash and cut the spinach and sorrel and then add them to the pot. Cook for another 5 minutes.
- Fill up the pot with water and bring to a boil, then reduce the heat. Add the rice, cover and simmer for another 20 min.
Inspiration and adaptation: bgcooks.com, fandom.com, recipesbg.com
Explore other recipes from the traditional Bulgarian cuisine.