Gibanica recipe is a traditional cheese pie dish made with layered phyllo dough filled with white cheeses, eggs. This recipe in the Serbian cuisine has many other variations across the Balkans, called with other names and it range from sweet to savory, and from simple to festive. It can be prepare with homemade Phyllo dough or bought from the store.
Gibanica is a traditional cheese pie dish made with layered phyllo dough filled with white cheeses, eggs.
- 500 g filo pastry
- 300 g feta cheese
- 2 cups oil small cups
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup sour cream
- First crack and whisk well the eggs into a bowl. Add the sparkling water mix well and crumbled white cheese and add oil.
- Stir well then then add sour cream and mix.
- Preheat the oven to 350° F.
- Grease a baking dish and place at the bottom 2 sheets of phyllo pastry.
- Add of the mixture on top and spread across the phyllo, then add another layer of phyllo sheets and spread the cheese mixture on top.
- Repeat the steps until you finish the mixture. You have to finish with a layer of phyllo sheet on top.
- Sprinkle some water and bake until golden brown
Inspiration and adaptation: zlatiborac.com, serbia.com, wikimedia.org
Photo: Arousing Appetites/Wikipedia
Explore other recipes from the traditional Serbian cuisine.
Did you make this Gibanica recipe?
Please let me know how it turned out for you! Leave a comment below and don’t forget to follow us. Sharing is caring!