Ajvar recipe originates from the Balkans region of southeastern Europe and it has a distinct taste, rich, and thick texture. It goes perfectly on a slice of bread or pastry into a savory bite.
Ajvar can be served as an appetizer on a slice of bread or soft white bread or flat pita bread with chunks of feta cheese on top.
- 2 lb red bell peppers
- 1/4 cup sunflower or olive oil
- 1 tbsp white vinegar
- 1 tsp salt
- 3/4 pound eggplant
- 5 tsp freshly minced garlic
- freshly ground black pepper
- Prepare the grill or barbeque by allow to preheat for 5 minutes. You can also use your oven.
- Grill the peppers and transfer them to a covered bowl and let them aside to cool down.
- Peel of the skin, cores and seeds from the peppers.
- Pierce the skin of eggplant with a fork in few places to prevent smashing all over due to the heat. Grill the eggplant until its skin darkens and rotate it from all sides.
- Transfer the eggplant to a plate and let it cool then split lengthwise, remove the top off eggplant and peel of the skin and remove seeds inside with a spoon.
- Use a food processor to roughly chopped the roasted red peppers, eggplant, and garlic.
- Then add in vinegar and oil, and season with salt and continue pulsing until the peppers are finely chopped.
- Place a saucepan over medium-high heat then transfer the content from the food processor and reduce to medium-low and simmer for 30 minutes. Don't forget to check and stir from time to time to be sure doesn't stick.
- When ready turn off the heat and season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve with bread.
Inspiration and adaptation: serbia.com, serbiancookbook.com
Explore other recipes from the traditional Serbian cuisine.