Štruklji are a traditional Slovene dish, prepared of dough and various types of filling, then form rolls, which can be either cooked or baked. It is similar to Zagorski Štrukli, a dish from the traditional Croatian cuisine.
- 1 egg
- 2 cup white flour
- ½ cup warm water
- pinch of salt
- ½ tsp vinegar or lemon juice
Sweet filling with Cottage Cheese
- 3 tbsp sour cream
- ¼ lb cottage cheese
- 1 egg
- 3 tbsp sugar
- white breadcrumbs
- In a large mixing bowl add the flour and with your fingers make a well in the center and add all the ingredients.
- You can use a blended with hook dough to prepare the dough or knead until smooth and elastic. Leave the dough aside in a warm place to rice for 30 minutes.
Sweet feeling with cottage cheese
- Soak the raisins in rum for 30 minutes.
- In a large bowl mix together the cottage cheese, egg, sugar sour cream, and breadcrumbs. Then add the the raisins and finely chopped tarragon.
- Roll the dough out on a lightly floured flat surface and cut it into a rectangle about 12 inches by 18 inches. Spread the mixture over the dough then roll it, into a tight roll, starting from the long side.
- Place a large pot water over a medium heat and bring it to boiling. Add salt.
- Use cheesecloth to wrap the roll and tie the ends with string, then form a circle an add it to the pot. Let them boil for 25-30 minutes, then take them out and unwrap the roll.
- In a frying pan melt the butter and add the bread crumbs and fry them until golden brown.
- Slice the Štruklji into pieces coat with the buttered crumbs on top.
Inspiration and adaptation: gurman.eu, wikipedia.org
Explore other recipes from the traditional Slovenian cuisine.