Tarator (Bulgarian Cold Cucumber Soup) is a traditional cold refreshing soup in Bulgarian cuisine, popular in the summer and prepared from yogurt, cucumber, dill and garlic. Similar dishes are known throughout Middle Eastern cuisine.
- 1½ lb Bulgarian yogurt
- 1 lb cucumber peeled
- 3 oz walnuts , chopped and lightly toasted
- 3 tbsp sunflower oil or olive oil
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 small bunch dill, finely chopped
- Beat the yogurt until it is smooth.
- You can use a cutting board to finely chop garlic, cucumber, half of the walnuts, half of the dill. Then transfer them into a large bowl and mix with the yogurt and olive oil.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Serve cold or add some ice cubes and sprinkle the remaining walnuts and dill.
Inspiration and adaptation: tastybg.com, recipesbg.com, wikipedia.org
Explore other recipes from the traditional Bulgarian cuisine.