This Yellow Split Peas Puree is a traditional authentic Greek fava is a delicious and hearty, creamy vegan appetizer and serves with a drizzle of extra virgin olive oil and fresh parsley on top. There are green and yellow varieties of split pea, which belong to the legume family along with the beans, chickpeas, lentils. They are full of antioxidants and high in fiber, and a perfect low-fat source of protein.
Authentic Greek Fava recipe (Yellow Split Peas Puree)
- 18 oz yellow split peas
- 3 red onions roughly chopped
- 2 cup cloves of garlic roughly chopped
- 1 liter warm water
- 2 lemons juice
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- salt to taste
- black pepper to taste
- First wash the split peas before using and set aside.
- Over medium-high heat place a large pot with 3 tbsp olive oil and sauté the garlic, onions and thyme.
- Then reduce the heat to medium, add the peas and stir, add water, olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Cover for 50 minutes and cook, stirring from time to time and removing any white foam that is formed on the surface.
- Add the lemon juice stir well and turn off the heat. Use a food processor and transfer the mixture in and blend until the texture become creamy and smooth.
- Transfer to a bowl and add diced onion and chopped parsley on top with a drizzle of olive oil.
Inspiration and adaptation: 30daysofgreekfood.com, wikipedia.org, recipeswise.com
Explore other recipes from the traditional Greek cuisine.